Saturday, January 5, 2013

Kisses from Katie

I recently read this fantastic book called "Kisses from Katie." It's about a 19 year old girl who falls in love with the country of Uganda and it's people. Katie has a really good life in America, but moves to Uganda, originally only for a year, while putting off college. She still lives there 3 years later and is in the process of adopting 13 girls ranging from around 16 to 4. She lives there for Jesus, using every opportunity to show His love to others. She has a large house, and aside from her 13 Ugandan daughters, takes in the sick, hurt, and hopeless. She started an organization called "Amazima" (which means truth) to help send Ugandan children to school and therefore change their future. Did I mention it's a true story, written by Katie Davis herself?
Katie Davis and her 13 beautiful daughters
I wish that I could be like that. You know, like do something with my life. To live the life that God has given me to the fullest according to his plan. Katie inspires me to get out there and help people. Life can be so boring when we're focused only on us. We think "Me, Myself, and I" instead of "Them, They, and Those." Wouldn't our lives look incredibly different if we all lived the second phrase. We would be serving others and sacrificing ourselves for His glory. I know that's how I want to live, though I'm far from it right now. 
I didn't write this post to make you feel guilty about how you're living your life. I simply wrote it to challenge you and myself to live life better. To the fullest, enjoying every moment, giving the glory to God, having fun, and letting our guard.
If you want to know more about Katie Davis and her work in Uganda you can visit her blog: 
http://www.kissesfromkatie.blogspot.com/
or Amazima's website:
http://amazima.org/
or read her book:
Kisses from Katie 
by Katie Davis with Beth Clark

Hope you find this helpful! If you did, please comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment